Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Hong Kong: The Land of Paradoxes

My recent 33rd birthday reflection as well as a recent conversation with my family comparing living in Scandinavian, Australian and Canadian cities allowed me to reorganize my thoughts on the city I now reside in: Hong Kong. How I locate myself on this canvas. What I have found out is that we HK residents live in a land of paradoxes.

Before the handover in 1997, Hong Kong was already one of the most densely populated cities in the world. Now that the city has been forced to open up to it's biological mother China, it has now entered the inevitable stage of being a (what I like to think) rebellious teenager with an identity crisis. For those who want to jump and criticize me for insulting HK residents like that, let me just preempt that I have no intentions of doing so but quite the contrary. Bear with me.

HK residents ever since the 60s and 70s has developed a great work ethic of diligence. Working their supposedly 9-5 job way over time. The abbreviation O.T. (standing for over time) is widely used and understood even by my grandma who knows negligible English. This work ethic was inherited by the next generation of millennials (ahem, moi) the only difference is that we are the living, breathing anthem of "Work hard, play hard." Unlike our parents who never indulged in designer brands, fine dining and traveling to save money for an apartment, we millennials are lucky enough to have a family that is in no dire financial abyss and hence can live life a bit more than the last generation. HK residents literally coined the Cantonese short hand for the weekend routine of "shop, movie, dine". In recent years, some has dove into the alternative of wellness, spending time at the gym, doing yoga, hiking or cycling. 

And here is my first observed paradox: HK residents would gladly give into a job they most probably loath and grind at for most of the week, and then at the end of the week, do an absolute 180 and just let loose. What is the meaning of life for the many bankers and office workers who either hate their tedious jobs or the ethically questionable institution they loath? What is the meaning of life for the many people who is complacent at their government jobs yet spends the holidays protesting against their boss? Why not work in something you feel passionately for most of the week so you do not have to force a weekend of  "let's make myself happy"? 

The next paradox is derived from that very last question but perhaps a more quantified question: Is the hefty price tag of indulgence that important that we give up our choice of how we make a living?

A parallel paradox is that we work tirelessly for months so that we can go traveling. Why not build a home we do not need to escape from? This question after some thought is the result of the system we unfortunately can't change too much. There are more mainland Chinese flooding into our city whether, some just tourists or some evolving into residents taking up not only space but even resources. And I understand that this frustration is often what drives us to travel. But wouldn't it be nice that we can live in a city, working at a job we love, so we needn't have to escape all the time?

Another paradox comes in the form of health and lifestyle: (and I am by no means an exception from this) we live in a society that salivates on the gluttony of Instagram worthy food yet after that then again take a 180 turn and torture ourselves in the gym. Why not stay disciplined when consuming food in the first place? Why not exercise because we enjoy it, not to detox?

Last paradox: we spend so much time at work multi-tasking, when we don't we need apps to remind us to breathe, to stand up and walk around, drink, to do basic things we used to do on our own. Our minds are so preoccupied that we need time to meditate and unwind from that. And sometimes we aren't even good at doing that. 


What I have come to conclude (at least for me) is that life is a gift of constantly being in the present. If I wake up everyday knowing I love the work that I do, that I enjoy nurturing the next generation about literature, that I feel a humbling sense of work flow when I write, I do not have to force a weekend of "make up for the fives days I just spent in hell" nor do I have to escape when I travel around the world. That my traveling is instead wanderlust driven. 


No comments:

Post a Comment